Snickerdoodles with Maple Glaze
It’s almost time for holiday baking, and these simple but delicious cinnamon cookies need to be on your list!
Snickerdoodles (makes about 24 cookies)
- 1 stick of butter or margarine
- 3/8 cup of packed light brown sugar
- 3/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/8 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Combine butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Beat with stand or hand mixer for a few minutes, until we’ll combined.
- In another small mixing bowl, store together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add to the wet ingredients a spoonful at a time, beating in between until mixture is well combined.
- Chill dough for 1 hour.
- Use a small cookie scoop to scoop balls of dough into a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 9 to 11 minutes (I always turn my pan half way through the cooking process to make sure the cookies bake evenly).
- Place cookies on a cooling rack as soon as they come out of the oven (if you leave them on the pan to cool, they continue to cook and might be crispier than you want them).
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Combine all three ingredients and whisk until smooth (make sure there are no lumps of sugar left).
- Drizzle glaze over cooled cookies.
- Allow glaze to set up for about 10 minutes before serving.
- I put a large piece of parchment paper under my cooling rack so the glaze doesn’t make a huge mess.
- I like these cookies really soft and chewy, so I only cook mine for 9 minutes. You can cook them longer for a crispier texture.
- Chilling the dough is optional, but it keeps the cookies from spreading as much while they cook. The longer you chill the dough, the thicker and chewier your cookies will be.
- Make the glaze with one tablespoon of milk and one tablespoon of coffee and replace the cinnamon with pumpkin spice to make pumpkin spice latte cookies.
The professional cookies taster of the house approved of this recipe.