Is there any combo that’s better than chocolate cake and vanilla ice cream? These little mason jar sundaes combine those two things into an easy, ready to eat, single serving dessert that you can always have in the freezer.
On a non-food related note, Jeff got me a camera for Mother’s Day and let me open it early, so I’ve been playing with it for a few days. These pictures are my first attempt at actual food photography with a real camera instead of my iPhone, and I’m pretty happy with how they turned out! I can’t wait to have more time to play and learn more about my new camera and food photography.
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 box of German chocolate cake mix
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 eggs
- Chocolate syrup
- Mini chocolate chips
- Vanilla ice cream
- 8 half pint mason jars and lids
- Prepare the chocolate cake according to the directions on the box and scoop into cupcake tins. Bake for about 15 minutes and then allow to cool.
- One chocolate cupcakes are cooled, place one cupcake in the bottom of each mason jar.
- Spoon in one scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of each cupcake, then top with chocolate chips and chocolate syrup.
- Repeat layering process one more time to fill each jar.
- Screw on the lids and store in the freezer.
That’s it! This is such an easy dessert to make, but they are so good! I especially love the mini chocolate chips because they give the sundaes a nice little crunch when you grab them straight out of the freezer.
These are perfect for parties because they are already divided into single servings, or they’re great to just have in the freezer as a treat. Since they’re stored in mason jars, they’re also resealable for when you just want to enjoy a bite or two and save the rest for later.
You can also customize these with whatever cake and ice cream flavors and toppings you like.